Sunday, October 20, 2013

How I scrapped 170 photos in about 7 hours aka I love pocket pages

So. I've had various envelopes of photo sitting around for YEARS waiting to be scrapped into mini albums and pages. Since I set them up ready to go various things have changed. While I love a good mini album and I like having the story all in one place with a definite start, middle and end. I don't love the space that a mini album takes up or the time that it takes to put one together. On top of that some of these stories just aren't high on my priority to scrapbook now that so much time has passed since the event. Or the nature of what I was scrapping didn't merit the time effort and expense of the number of scrapbook pages it would take to scrap 250 photos. The other thing that has changed is the advent on Pocket page scrapping- and that's where a solution is born.

These 25 photos from the 5 Squadron family day in March 2003 were destined for a mini album. It probably would have taken about 6-8 hours to scrap on it's own and taken up space that is at a premium. And while it was a cool experience at the time we've now moved on and Les isn't even in the RNZAF let alone on the Squadron any more. This will go in our Things we do album.







These 11 photos from Tamati's last Spyrider in August 2007 were also destined for a mini album- we had a great time and Merenia got to be on TV- plus it was a cool experience being part of live television screening. But 6 years on.....meh.



Twenty photos from the Rugby Road Show that Les took Kieran and Jake to in 2008- at the very height of Kieran's Rugby obsession- fun photos intended for a mini album again- but really what would I do with it? I doubt Kieran will want to take it with him when he leaves home and I'm not exactly going to look back on it with fond memories- so these pages will go into the All about  Kieran album.



While I was teaching GaT at Whenuapai back in 2004-7 I took heaps of photos and scrapped them all except for these very last ones. I finished my job and had Will on the very same day so there just hasn't been the time to scrap these 115 photos and one hand print wreath. Not only that but I think of the time that would have gone into make the 12x12 pages for my Teaching album and the expense for the number of pages (20+) I would have had to do with 115 photos- totally not worth the effort especially now I can't even share them with my class some of whom five years on are almost grown up. So this was a great solution for these photos that I didn't want to scrap and didn't want to throw out.






















All in all this lot- 171 photos took me  about 7 hours to stuff in pockets, choose cards and journal. 
Each slip in pocket pages costs around 60 cents and each of the (mostly) Project Life cards costs 6 cents. I used a piece of a patterned paper, some scraps of paper, some washi tape, stickers and misc embellishments I already had. Total cost= approx $22 for the equivalent of 32 pages- you couldn't even buy the cardstock for that! And the pleasure of having these photos finally in albums and NOT sitting in envelopes is fantastic!

No comments: