Monday, April 6, 2009

Documenting Our Family: The Filing Cabinet

This is the drawer in our family filing cabinet dedicated to our 'stuff'.
It has files for each of the kids including Saskia and and an extra file for those who are involved in formal education (school stuff). One for Les, one for Me and one for Us, as a family. I also have one for my sister Caitlin- as I am slowly scrapbooking her life and one for the Seelen-Smiths because they are nice and send us photos and stuff.

Within each file there are envelopes labeled by year and some times event or item eg; 'Christmas '08' or 'Valentines/Anniversary Cards' or 'Notes from Merenia'. This is all stuff I intend to scrapbook. The generic year-by-year envelopes have notes on the cover of the items contained within eg; 'Kieran's speech about Grandy'

The kids also have a clear file each which holds all their school reports, certificates, exam results and other special school documentation eg Production scripts from past years. I also keep a large plastic bag which holds school book labels and the master list for their school review scrapbooks. Any work and used school books brought home during the year gets thrown in there for January, when I do the review.

I love this system because it gives some seldom used stuff a relevant 'home' for when it's not in use. It is easy to find things when we need them. It is easy to go in there, flip through, and pull out something to scrapbook. It's easy to maintain. Provided I go have a look through the envelopes every so often then I remember what's in there and feel enthused about scrapbooking it.

No comments: