Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Product notes: Smooch Ink


There has been some talk recently on an internet group I belong to about Smooch Inks. I recently managed to score some of these in a Trade Me auction that I was getting for some other treasure. So I thought I'd have a play so I could show the girls.

The ink is made by Clearsnap who also do Colorbox, Fluid chalk inks, Vivid and Ancient Page among others. It comes in a nail polish like bottle and is available in 16 colours. From the original 8 I have the Azure (Blue), Gold Lame and Silver Fox- they also do a red, green, purple, orange and moonlight which I assume is cream/pearl. The colours are Pearlised so they have a really nice sheen to them. The second set of 8 colours not yet on the Clearsnap website can be seen here.

The tip of the applicator which is attached to the lid (seen below with a gel pen for comparison) is seriously fine and makes tiny 'fill' work very easy. You could also write with the tip but it is hard to maintain an even line.

Overall I think this ink is really nice to use and I did like the colours and sheen.


That said I think that I have pens that also do the same trick so I am not sure as the value of it as a colouriser.

You can also use it to apply ink to a stamp. And I guess that's where the value of this ink comes in for the serious (and patient) stamper. It does take a bit longer to dry so it would be possible to use multiple colours on one stamp allowing you to get a finely detailed multi-coloured print relatively easily. It's not the sort of painstaking task I'm into though.


The verdict at US$4.49 to buy them in or NZ$8 to get them local I think I will just stick to the three colours that I have. But if I happen upon them cheap on 'Trade Me' or in my Christmas Stocking I won't be at all disappointed! And I'll certainly be using mine to add accents, highlights and hints of sparkles to cards, pages and projects.


No comments: