Friday, December 2, 2011

Challenge Day 2

I think the challenge for me with this challenge will be managing to scrap when Tama is asleep and get everything else done I need to around the place. And then staying up late enough to get the blog post done.!

So today for me was the making of the covers of my Daily December Album. My internal pages are 6x8inches but I have cut the covers 8x10 because I have a plan. I use chipboard for the covers and the papers are Cosmo Cricket and Teresa Collins.


After cutting the paper down with an inch or so of excess on each side. I spread glue over one side of the chipboard. A perfectionist would then spread the glue with a brush but I'm a get it done fast scrapper so I just flip it onto the paper as is and then brayer it hard to spread the glue. If you have a patterned paper that has some sort of symmetrical design be careful to make sure your paper is straight on the card. 


Use an offcut of the chipboard flush against the corner of your cover to draw a line to trim.


Use a bone folder to make the creases against the edge of the board before you glue- makes life a whole bunch easier.


Use your finger nail to squeeze a little paper in at the corner so that it will come up looking tidy.


Then apply the glue a flap at a time- this time I do spread the glue across the whole flap.


Do each flap using the brayer or bone folder to help ensure a neat finish.


Just a little tip- if you have to mess around like I did choosing a different paper for the inside cover or tend to a tiny human being- wrap your glue brush in a wet baby wipe to stop it from drying out.


For the inside cover use your cover to trace the outline onto your patterned paper and then cut it about 5mm shorter.


Apply your glue and place your paper carefully.


Brayer again to spread the glue and ensure no air bubbles or creases.


I used a strip of the flip side of this Basic Grey jovial paper as an accent on the inside front cover. I inked it with Pine Needles distress ink.


 And then ran it through my Xyron.


I used this card from Teresa Collins.


With a couple of stickers from Simple Stories ( a really great company I was pleased to recently discover).


I was particularly keen on the motif in the corner so I covered it up and added our details.


For the front cover another piece from Teresa Collins. It got lost on it's own on the cover so I messed around to find the best option... I tried an inked doily.



A Mister Misted doily which was nice but not quite...


Plain doily.


Which I decided to mount on some patterned paper with a similar green to the design on the Cosmo Cricket paper. Placed it with the aid of my centering ruler. 


And added the text on foam tape for a bit more dimension.

Front and back covers....


Inside covers....

This album ends up being pretty think and in the past I have used 3in book or hinge rings- this year I am hoping to wire bind them. I am currently waiting for some 38mm bindings to come from Melbourne as I couldn't find a source for them individually here in Perth. Problem is I'm not 100% sure that they will work as they are a 2:1 ratio (that 2 holes to the inch) whereas the smaller ones we normally use are 3:1- I am hoping I can fudge it as my plan depends on using the spiral binding- if not I'll have to get creative. These are the albums for the past three years- looking back through them I realised not doing this project this year (which I seriously considered) was not an option.



And these are my kits- to make life easy: Numbers, Embellishments, and Journalling supplies- each in a bag of their own.

  

No comments: