Friday, September 5, 2008

Petite Gourmet



Will, and I don't blame him, has decided to spurn baby food.


If it's pureed in any way his immediate response it to clamp his mouth closed into the sort of grin that only a boy with a mouth full of gums can make. He then proceeds to shake his heads vigorously from side to side in what, to him, is a VERY amusing manner. From the perspective of the person holding the spoon (also soon to be the person holding the face cloth) this action is not terribly favourable as it causes food from the spoon to be haphazardly applied to all manner of places. Think: chin, hair, nose, ears, neck, forehead...in fact think anywhere EXCEPT the interior of his mouth.

In many ways this is fantastic news. It's great that he wants to eat what we eat. Except...
.... I have a lot of baby food (it was on special) and no one to eat it.
.... I don't want to share my Mars Bar/Custard/Cola/Fruit Toast/Scnitzel/pen/magazine etc yet.
.... I am for the most part quite anal about introducing solids, and this is making it quite hard.


If the boy wants Chicken Tikka Masala I'm all for it But I want to be able to introduce him to the chicken, the tikka and the masala on three different days so I know that if he comes out in a rash spots what it was that upset his gorgeous yet delicate constitution. But face it... I can't justify feeding him Masala at 8 months old... goodness knows he can be trouble enough as it is .... without putting a whole bunch of spicyness in the wee dude.

So at the moment I am in the process of figuring from the list of 'can have at 8.5months' stuff what will be acceptable to the masters palet and phasing it all in. This results in a smorgasboard like the one you see above... pasta, toast smeared with baby food and/or banana, cooked carrots, brocolli and cauliflower, banana, apple (in the bag), beef strips, my hair, paper and grass.... well I don't actually serve the hair, paper or the grass but Will puts it on the menu quite swiftly whenever he has the opportunity.

I'm worried that at this rate the boy will be soon be supping on deep fried camerbert, caviar blinis, Duck a l'orange Baked Alaska and Sandpit... and with the exception of the sandpit I can't make those!



*****************

No comments: