Sunday, September 28, 2008

Something for your Sunday

When I was little we had mixing bowls a bit like this but instead of blue and white stripes they were kind of terraced and just all cream. I did have a little one until recently when it got broken. We had one that was huge... the sort you could make 4 Christmas Cakes in. It looked really good with a HUGE load of proving bread dough in it... my favourite thing to make on a Sunday Morning.

We also had good old baking tins like this....

When I was in Home Ec. at school I was something of a teacher's pet so when I left I was given a measuring cup and measuring spoons set (still have the cup). When I 'left home' some of my first purchases were a cake mixer (hand held, I still lust after the free standing type) and mixing bowls. And finally all sorts of tins, for making all sorts of things like Cinnamon Oysters, Jewish cake and Meatloaf. It took me ages to find a good one for Cinnamon Oysters for some reason it has to be round bottomed I still don't have a good square Christmas Cake type one. The one below extends out it's perfect for making...


GINGER BREAD LOAF

Not to be mistaken for gingerbread biscuits that we also enjoy making around here in the shape of men, elephants and other fun stuff.

The recipe for this comes from the Prestcold Refridgerator Recipe book. I remember very well when we got a NEW fridge when I was a kid. I remember the new fridge smell. The BUTTER CONDITIONER (the height of new technology) and the egg holder shelves. It came with a new jug and a recipe book. I doubt that my Mum cooked from it much but I do remember she made this....


And it's Easy and it's GOOD which is why I am recommending it to you. Here's the recipe...


Notice the spots on the page... becareful when pulling the mixer out of the mixture. :-)

You can do the custard or the stewed apple if you wish... but personally we just eat it, as is straight from the oven, still warm.... mmmmmmmmm



No comments: