Wednesday, March 5, 2008

What's in a name?

I've been thinking about this post for a couple of days now, mainly because Will hasn't let me post it. And now I am spending precious sleeping time writing it.

On Monday I did some web research because there were some things bothering me. Namely the fact that Will has a little fold in his ear


and he his little fingers curve inwards.


In general we worry about him a bit anyway. There are three possible reasons for this
  1. It's a long time since we hung with a little baby and our memory of it may be foggy.
  2. We already buried one baby, we're known to be paranoid.
  3. There could really be something wrong.
I was feeling 'ok' about all this on Monday until I did the research and then I put a name to these things; pinna (the ear thing) and Clinodactyl (the finger thing). Why is it that a name can make so much difference? It can make something seem nicer or it can make something so much worse. The more I looked the more crazy names I came across Clinodactyl is a symptom of Treacher-Collins syndrome and Silver-Russell syndrome (Will most likely has neither of those). But it did all have me worrying that maybe he did have something genetic and that maybe Saskia had it too only worse and that's why she died.

I took him to the Dr on Tuesday for those and other unrelated things. Including Sandifer's Syndrome which is another scary sounding name. And in this case he does have it because all it refers to is the way he throws back and off to the side his cute little head. And why does he do that? Because he most likely has reflux. So now my 11 week old baby is on drugs! Ranitidine to be exact or Zantac if you like brand names. I'm not really happy about that and there are some other things I need to try. In fact I have probably done things the wrong way around but at least trying the Zantac should tell us to a reasonable certainty that it is reflux. Once that is confirmed then we'll try a Chiro. And I will try cutting out dairy as lactose intolerance is very common in babies that have reflux. Cutting out dairy is going to be extremely hard. I know because I tried on Monday and Tuesday after I read it and there is dairy in a whole bunch of stuff. I could loose some serious weight this way though because I have a limited diet at the moment as it is, owing to the fact that daytime food needs to be quick to 'prepare' and eat or able to be done one handed.

By the way the Dr wasn't at all concerned with his ear or fingers and, I can't remember which kid now- or maybe it was both, but at least one of them also has clinodactyl so maybe that's just the way we make them, because there sure as heck ain't much wrong with either of the big ones.

Also on the subject of names on TUESDAY which is when I hoped to write this post (WILLLIE!!!) someone I love had a birthday. When I wrote his card I wrote "Pa, Brian, Grandad" and I found that really tricky. Why is that? Why, because when I was little and not so little my mother (the one who gave birth to me) made me call her Mummy and him Daddy. She didn't like Mum and Dad at all ever thank-you very much! This meant that I had to refer to them as Mummy and Daddy at home. And Mum and Dad at school because I was smart enough to know what a dork I was going to sound like. It became even harder when they split because now there were other people in the mix. Daddy was sounding sillier by the day to me and I'm sure everyone else but for 12 odd years I had called him Daddy and I had it drilled into me. So for a long time I called him Pa (or Paw because that's how we said it). When talking to my Mum (the cool one I like) I often said 'My Dad' because I just couldn't bring myself to just say Dad. 'My Dad' is more like an object like 'my car' or 'my pen' rather than a name, like 'Dad'. These days Pa sounds weird, I so wouldn't say Daddy and after 34 years to start saying Dad is really hard. So I don't know what to call him, and I don't really get to talk to him all that much, and I really miss him and I hope the card arrived on the day because I didn't get a chance to phone before it got too late him and I really love him so I hope he had a good day... Happy Birthday father dude.



Thats me and him (I look like Will).

If you think the photo looks a little bad it does because it had a hard life and I tried to fix it when I was still on the steeper part of the Photoshop learning curve. I need to try again and fix it properly.

Just so you know, our Hero Les (and I mean that seriously because come July when he's in Turkey soaking up the rays and checking out all the hot Euro girls and I'm back here in the cold with my hot little LuveyDub I will be seriously grateful) and his Assistant Merenia (and there's no seriousness in that at all) got ALL of that stack of stumps split and stacked (try saying that 6 times fast).
See ...


Awesome...


Gratuitous Baby photo...


He's really growing up (slow down baby slow down!!)

Today; Well it's 10:41 and I have turned the page on the calendar (yesterday 7:30pm ish), had breakfast (yesterday 11:30ish), hung almost 2 ( ran out of pegs) loads of washing (yesterday didn't even get to turn the machine on), written this post (yesterday wahahahahahaha) and now am contemplating making a banana cake (yesterday lots of contemplating, only contemplating). Will's been asleep IN BED for 1hr 43 min (yesterday 10mins tops when not in my arms). So it's looking great already! Yay!!!!

No comments: