Friday, March 11, 2011

February DT: My Delight

After my original look at the gear in the pack. I went through my photos to see what I had that would work well. My personal style is generally to go with a cardstock base and compliment it with patterned paper and embellishments so that's the perspective I was thinking from. I quite often get an idea in my head automatically of how I see the page coming together and hence I make some nots on a post it and put that on the back of one of the photos. (I can't say that what I plan is what I end up with but it gives me a good starting point. Here's the plan for the page I worked on first...


I chose to work on this one first as I knew it needed the largest area of patterned paper. I pulled my basic supplies together on my table. This page is going to be framed by the Blue B side of the stripey 'Dazed' paper because it picks up some of the colours in my photo.


I trimmed an inch off each side of my white card stock.


Flipped my patterned paper to the side I wasn't using and traced around my card stock square with a pencil. This gives me a basic guide to cut my paper frame to save wastage.


I lined up my pencil lines with the edge of the right hand gutter on my trimmer giving me about 5mm leeway on the edges of my frame.


It's important to remember to start the blade about half a centimetre past the pencil line as well.


Cuts all fours sides and then finish cutting out the square with a knife or blade of your choice.


Attach the frame in behind the precut square of Bazzill.


My original plan was to add some of the more colourful patterned paper at the point on the frame where Will's eyes were 'looking' or to add a patchwork of all the cool papers to the left of the photo to echo the plaid pattern on our high chair. In the end I decided to use hearts rather than squares which I punched out of all of the 'Distracted' papers.


I find the easiest way to attach tiny items like these hearts is to use my Xyron 150. I have to say when I first saw these I wasn't convinced that it would be something I would use enough to justify having it. Then I won one and can honestly say I wouldn't be with out it- one of my most used tools and adhesives. And it's super easy to use! 
Put your item in the top so that you can see the front (pretty) side.


Slowly start to pull the strip at the bottom until your item is about to disappear from sight. Keep adding the remaining items and pulling as you go.


When you are done adding items pull the strip so your pieces are past the serrated strip and tear it off. You will end up with a strip like that below. Rub the strip with a firm pressure to ensure the glue is adhered to your items and that the remaining adhesive transfers to the top strip.


Remove the top clear strip and discard and you have a sheet of stickers ready to go. 


After I stuck my hearts down I felt like they needed a little something else so opted to add a line of stitching to a few random hearts with my sewing machine.


I then added my title, embellishment (a large Kaiser Brad) and stapled some coordinating Pebbles Inc Ribbon to finish my Layout.



Supply List:
 Non Caz Dezign Supplies: AC Thickers Foam letters, EK Success Primitive Heart Punch, Cotton, staples.

No comments: