Monday, March 21, 2011

February DT: Shakespeare Bay

Carrying on the summer theme these papers really lend themselves to beach pages! 


I hand drew my wave design with a pencil and then cut it out with a blade. And I punched a border strip with the Fiskars Effervescence punch- while these are not standard Caz Dezign Stock I'm pretty sure Caz can easily get them in if your are having trouble finding them. 


I also hand cut a sun design for my page. I was originally going to just stick it down but it felt like it needed something more. I could have inked the edges in a darker orange tone to help my rays shine. But decided to emphasise the design with machine stitching.


I try and keep my sewing machine accessible as much as possible with thread and bobbin loaded to go because it means I am more likely to use it! And that's great because it's so easy and looks great. You don't need to use a thicker or stronger needle I use the same one for fabric and for paper. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that card does not bunch like fabric- so it helps to decide if something may need to be stitched off the page and then stuck down- or if you must stitch onto 12 x12 think about the best place to start as manipulating a rolled up piece of 12 x12 card stock through the middle of your machine can be a mission.


I love the texture and dimension you get when it's done and it is honestly super quick and easy.


One of the things that teachers should show kids at school is how to measure out a title to that is evenly spread across it's intended home. The easy way to do this is to write your title on a scrap of paper and then number into the middle from each side (including numbering the spaces between words). This lets you find the middle point which will either be a letter if your title is an uneven number of letters&space or the gap between two letters if it is an even number. You can see in the example below that the s was my centre so iI have placed that in the middle of my space along with the start and end letters- from there it's quite easy to space out the rest of the letters evenly.


This Penscore Mouldable Stamping foam is some very cool stuff. You can see in the picture below that I had previously used mine to make a negative impression of a making memories foam stamp. I used the heat gun to return the foam to it's natural flat state.


Once it is hot it is ready to take an impression.


I chose this Hero Arts Cloud stamp which I pressed firmly onto my heated foam. (Did you know you can order Hero Arts Stamps through Caz if she doesn't have the item you want in stock there's often a good chance she can get it.)


(If you want to see further examples of pen score then this craft critique post is great.) I inked the stamp with Color box Chalk Ink- which has a nice chalky finish.


And then stamped it around my sun for a subtle effect. I finished the Layout off with the date, a flower and some rhinestones to highlight my waves.



Caz Dezign Supplies:
Other Supplies: Hero Arts Clouds Stamp S5215, Colorbox Chalk Ink-Ice Blue, Scenic Route Alphabet Hip to be Square Stickers, White Cotton, Hibiscus Flower unknown, Smiggle Micro Liner Pen Blue 0.5.

No comments: