Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gone to the birds?

This is just one of those random remembering and recalling posts. It's probably better if you click on the pictures then you'll see the little Kingfisher sitting on the roof.



Being the passionate yet indecisive child that I was I had a favourite night bird (morepork), sea bird (yellow-eyed penguin), forest bird (fantail), common bird (sparrow), baby bird (mallard duck chicks), exotic bird (Toucan) and so forth. I mean how can you choose just one???


My favourite water bird is the Kingfisher. In Dunedin you don't very often see Kingfishers around town. I'm not so sure about Auckland, as when I moved here I lived in an amazing house by the ocean with the best bird garden around. And then I met Les...


...and for as long as I can remember ('cept in Aus) we have always had the presence of a Kingfisher in our lives. When Kieran was a new baby we saw 'our kingfisher' most days.


And ever since Will came along this guy has been making a regular appearance. He is VERY camera shy though- it's driving me nuts!

Another bird driving me nuts is the Rosella that visits our neighbours apple tree. Every year a pair of them visit as soon as the apples get ripe and everyday they come and visit and have a feed to all the leaves on the tree are gone and all the apples are eaten up. This year there is only one which is kind of sad. And it's also making it harder to photograph as before one acted as lookout while the other ate. The one that is left is super skitish and flies away as soon as it spots me.


While I am on the subject of birds Don't you just love Sparrows!? When I was little I had a 'friend' sparrow... (yes I know I was a weird child).. his name was Thomas and I was the only one that could recognise him... he was a fat hedge sparrow (as opposed to a skinny house sparrow) much like the one on the right on the washing line above. I had a couple of other named Sparrows too Louise and Rachel they were Skinny house sparrows like these two....


So in my family Sparrows were called Thomas birds. YOU see them every day these Thomas birds, have you ever looked at them closely? Realised how cute and sweet they are? Wondered at their personalities? Go on but some bread on the lawn and watch the birdies like me and Will do.... make up names and look for relationships. It's fun in a quirky way.


No comments: