Sunday, April 13, 2008

A letter to the baby mamas

Dear Kathryn, Macchi, Kiri and Jennie,

When I was a new mum with Kieran the thing I most wanted was another person close by in the same situation as me. And I remember thinking it this time around as well... I hoped someone would move into the empty house out front with a little baby just like me. I still do.

But in moments of clarity I have to realise that the world isn't that big and though you may be a suburb or two or three... even half an island away it's really not that far.

I'd like to catch up with you at least once a month, preferably more. We think about you most days. We talk (I talk, Will listens) about our friends Harri, Kaya, Lilly and Cameron most days. We wonder what the other babies are doing and how the mamas are managing. We wonder if we'll write or call and see you tomorrow or the next day. Or maybe next week. Or perhaps we'll just send an email or a text to say hello.

We contemplate spending hours with you all... talking, laughing, commiserating, sharing... cooing, burbling and no doubt dribbling.

I'd like to talk about sleep, about giving babies medicine (it sucks), about showering, bathing babies, about 'husbands'. I'd like to share with you about Gymbaroo, good books to read, and how crawling comes before sitting in the natural order of things.

I'd like to take photos and celebrate new life and good friends.

But before too long another day passes and then another week. And here we are now coming up on four months for us... a little less for you all and we've done little more than met your sweet babies just the once.

I was not ok with this. But today I am. I just wanted you to know I really love you all- mamas and babies. If you need me I'll call Les home to hold Will while I grab a shower and then I'll be there as soon as can be. Really call I'll come, I wouldn't hesitate.

But in the meantime I'm just going to stay home, relax. I'm going to luxuriate in the, sometimes difficult, but still absolute pure joy that is raising Will. I'm going to teach my baby boy to sleep in a bed even if I have to pick him and put him down 22 times in a day. I'm going to do a lot of this...

And a little of this...


And I'm going to continue to think often of you all but I'm going to be content... because you know now... that even if you don't see me or hear from me I am absolutely here for you and I am wishing all good for you everyday.

I hope that you are all doing the same.

Love,

Gypsy (and Will)

No comments: