Saturday, April 19, 2008

Several Post Saturday: Bookish

When I was out with Mira's the other day I brought a new book... It's by Shaun Tan who is one of the most amazing author/illustrators in the world!!! He wrote one of my top three favourite books... this one, 'The Lost thing' ....
And this one which I love as well... 'The Red Tree'

The book I brought is called 'The Arrival' It is one of the most sophisticated sophisticated picture books ever. It's about immigrating to a new land and the story is told completely in pictures... it's incredible...

Make sure you check out those links above as you get to see the insides of the books.

While I'm talking about favourite books this is also in my top three....'The Mysteries of Harris Burdick'


This is the intro for the book....

Thirty years ago a man called at Peter Wender's office, introducing himself as Harris Burdick. Mr. Burdick explained that he had written fourteen stories and had drawn many pictures for each one. He'd brought with him just one drawing from each story, to see if Wenders liked his work. Peter Wenders was fascinated by the drawings. He told Burdick he would like to read the stories that went with them as soon as possible. The artist agreed to bring the storeis the next morning. He left the fourteen drawing with Wenders. But he did not return...

The last of my favourite books is this one 'Window' By Jeannie Baker

Here's someone else's summary just to save me some time... I've edited it a little though

A AWESOME picture book about the nature and pace of environmental change caused by people. The story is presented through collages, looking out through a window over a period of 24 years. And it's way cool and especially poignant for mothers of little babies!

Please remember that just because a book is called a 'children's book' doesn't limit it to being read only by children... and any adult who dissmisses a book simply because it is for children is obviously not even as smart as the least smart child I know!


1 comment:

Kielz said...

I bought The Arrival last year and can get lost in it for ages. Make sure you read The Rabbits too. Did I mentioned that my copy of The Arrival is signed to me from WHEN I MET Shaun Tan. Hey did I mention I met Shaun Tan? At the same time I MET John Boyne - you probably shouldn't read his book just yet you will cry too much. Yes more than I did when Aurora died *sob*