Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I love International Airports!

When I was in High School my friends Berri, Tori, Tara, Suzy and I used to go to the ice cream/lolly shop in the mall and sit in the window and people watch... we'd make up stories about who the people were and where they'd come from, where they were going and other key facets of their lives... it was silly and I think relatively harmless fun....

.... It's so much more fun to play this game in an airport.



All of these people are waiting at arrivals. I think they have actually been paid to sit there so that the people who have no one to meet them feel even sadder. I mean why else would you spend so much time watching "Arrival TV"....

And what's with Arrival TV anyway? I think it's part of that whole faster is better thing. Like the men in suits and the young and pretty's on the plane that turn on their cell phone the moment the seatbelt sign goes off.... god forbid you may have to go another second without that important text and lets face it someone incredibly important maybe trying to call you at just that moment. At which point they can say things like....
"Oh yes Dah-ling I've just lannnnnded! would you believe I had to fly economy!"

Anyway I digress.... back to arrivals! Where the drone people are watching people with suitcases walk down a hallway! Just so they can get to their arriving relative a full ten seconds earlier! Wow! the excitement of it!

So the people arrive.... thoughts from the travellers...."20 hour flight with a baby! Oh yay there's my sister!"



"And here's my sister ignoring me to talk to my chest, which is already receiving far to much attention from the baby who has her attention. What about me?"


Another day another airport... all these people waiting but none for me.



I love the ones like this...... ahhhhhhh.


This was a bum day to be at arrivals I didn't check the board to see where these travelers had flown in from but the best flights are the ones from Samoa and Tonga... those guys know how to welcome the whanau home... complete with leis and food and ALL the rellies.

And a total lack of respect for this.....

There was some colour at the airport this day though....


and that's one of the reasons why I love it!.

The other is the emotion... some of which is witnessed above. And then there's these guys... Not sure if they were father/son or grandfather/grandson I'm assuming the latter because in my experience Dad's don't look that old.
So anyway he was a bit funny about hugging his old grandad I think he is at that point where he is a grown-up but still feels like a kid trying to behave like a grown-up. The girl is his girlfriend who has obviously never met Grandad before... no hugs there just an odd uncomfortableness. A bit like when your boyfriend takes you home to Te Aroha to meet his parents for the first time having NOT told them you were coming, leaves you on the doorstep while he goes to grab the bags. So it's you, a complete stranger, on the doorstep when you elderly future father-in-law opens the door. Actually no.... she didn't look half that uncomfortable.


Arrivals is great... there's a nervous energy and the whole gamut of emotions from "phew I made it through customs" to "thank-god I'm home" to"what have I landed into" to "Is there anyone here for ME?" to "Why isn't there anyone here for me?"
And the picker-upper-ers... cool- waiting patiently- bored- nervous- excited- deflated - excited - elated!

Every weary traveler needs a $2 massage....


Even if they are just contemplating seeing the world....


In departures there is less emotional range but more intensity....

"Good bye, I'm sad to see you go"



"PLEASE Don't go!"


"Yeah we're outta here"


The last two times I have been to AKL INT I have bumped into someone I know. This time it was Macchi and Cameron... my hasn't he grown? I knew him when he was kneehigh to a grasshopper... now he's at least thigh high!


Shopping is cool in the airport... especially if you are getting Duty Free!

Or chocolate....


Inspiration is everywhere...Expect to see something like this in a scrapbook page sometime soon....


Heck even the elevator is cool...




If you aren't traveling you can just look at the board and choose which destination suits you best today... Mira's was off to Santiago and I was going to Los Angeles... boring I know but I want to shop for Scrapbook stuff! :-)


Not normally seen at the airport but never before seen by me.... how cool is this contraption....


They were taking the tree out... I so wish we hadn't been inside so long as I would have happily paid the exorbitant airport parking fees to stay and watch them using this amazing thing!

2 comments:

shanlis said...

You know when something is mildly amusing, in a text form you would write LOL even if you didn't laugh out loud but maybe had an inwards giggle? But your interview with Will was totally,100%, a genuine LOL moment. Loved it!!

shanlis said...

OMG!! I thought my mum and I were the only ones who did the whole people watching thing in public places and making up their life stories!! It's sooo much fun, we sit at cafes and in malls and...well, anywhere public really, and people watch. We come up with all sorts of sordid stories- illicit affairs (that couple is just waaay tooo lovey to be real), gangsters on the run (he hasn't washed his hair for two weeks) and illegitimate children (what was the milkman up to in that street?). I have tried playing this game with Lisa but she just doesn't seem to get the point- she takes it far too seriously and over analyses everything so that something fun becomes an diatribe on psychology (probably mine for the need to make up stories about other people and watch them intently in public). I am sooooo happy to have found a fellow people watcher. There's a great people watching poem in a school journal actually that I loved so much that I cut out and glued into my school planner the year I found it.