Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Letting go in the midst of chaos

Will has fallen asleep on the way home from school so I thought I'd use the opportunity to say hi.

'Hi'

I'm not really surprised that he has crashed already he must be really tired after a NIGHT of BROKEN sleep!!! In fact a week of broken sleep... well I guess he does have the advantage of a warm parent on either side to keep him warm and snug... not such a good deal for the parents who are of more than average stature and only have a Queen size bed not suited really to the two of them and the pint size bed HOG!
Apparently he is 'so over the bassinet thanks mum' which means it's time to bring in the cot... because we certainly wouldn't want to bring in the clowns- they have their own beds fortunately.
Hence the Chaos (with a Capital C you will note). A cot in our room means taking out one of the scotch chests. (mine) deciding what half of our clothes we want immediate access too and putting them in Les'. And putting the rest in mine in the 'spare' room. Now if you've seen the spare room or modelling room/scrapbooking room/fixing room (depending on who's talking) then you'll know there ain't no room for a big chest of drawers.... UNLESS....
you move EVERYTHING around!




Which I did. Yesterday. Doing this with a baby is a bit like deciding to completely change around Carolann's studio just before midnight and then actually doing it. (You think my room has a lot in it?... oh no!) But I did it and I got all of Les' stuff back in place so he could continue building his new glider for the worlds... when he got home at 10pm (with a dremel tool... building with the tool that is, not getting home with it).

This change around has caused somewhat of a crisis for me.

I have a lot of stuff that will 'someday' become a cool scrapbooked item. For example some polystyrene cubes which would make great photocubes, or the wine bottle shaped tin which I am sure could become a cool gift for my Dad, and some funky shaped board books to alter into new funky books.

This stuff all takes up space and needs to be stored.

I also have some things that are of sentimental value or have some emotional attachment to them. Such as the very old leather case that I used to cart my stuff to uni in or my antique tobacco tin collection. (From my bad girl days)

This stuff all takes up space and needs to be stored.

I am a book and magazine-aholic. You never know when you may get the chance to use that recipe or that pattern or that cool idea.

This stuff all takes up space and needs to be stored.

Hence the crisis.


I am

becoming

my....







MOTHER-IN-LAW!
Insert banshee like screaming howl in here!


And so in the midst of the Chaos and spurred on by this post shared by Kieley...

I am letting go.

I am letting go of a whole bunch of stuff. Obviously I'm not going to get down to 100 items... hello??? I'm a scrapbooker I have over 100 pieces of paper let alone eyelets! :-) But I am going to easily say goodbye to way more than 100. I will be taking photos of some of the more special things and of course scrapbooking them at a later date. But mostly I'll just be trade-me-ing them, op shopping them, or just plain recycling them with the paper recycling tomorrow!

Here's some stuff in the hallway waiting to go to new homes....



And above is a sneak peek of the room which is getting closer to completion if only Will would comply with my sleep wishes. (He woke up three times during the course of this post, we had drinks, read stories- got rocked to sleep, put in bed, promptly woke up, got stroked and cajoled, got up, played on the mat, got grumpy, more rocking, more bed, more immediate waking... a little crying and now from here at least silence but if it's anything like yesterday he has just resigned himself to being in bed for now and will be talking to my Felix clock until he gets bored and says...

"MUM GET ME THE F%$# OUT OF HERE NOW!"

So before that happens on on... check you later it's time to FOCUS.

1 comment:

shanlis said...

Good luck with the clearing out! I love organising things and moving them around and tidying them up...but throw things away?!? That's just not cool. We love going to garage sales and find all sorts of treasures. Problem is, we now have so many 'treasures' that we don't have much room left to store them. I can feel the day fast approaching that I may have to 'declutterfy' (from the Shannon's book of words) and I am DREADING it. Although, I love the feeling when things are all neat and tidy and clear....and it would mean that I could start treasure collecting again in earnest....Perhaps I need to have a garage sale myself someday? (Actually, we don't have a garage as it's full of games so maybe we'd have to have a stall at some markets?).LOL.