Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Slap'n it up


As I sit here freezin' my butt off with most of the windows in the house open it may not be the best of days to talk about the adventures with the painters, but I'm gonna anyway.

Looking over the pictures this could be the world's most boring blog post but I am writing it for me to remember when I get around to scrapping it later on and also because the kids read the blog and I thought it may interest them.

So here's the house just after they started scraping the windows. You can see from this picture that the base boards needs a coat or two but in general the house looked fine. Murphy's Baby Law's also apply to painters in that where ever you have a baby that is going to sleep or actually asleep then you will also have a painter making a fairly decent amount of noise. That said if I could employ a water blaster full time then I would. It would be a terrible waste of the worlds water resources but the window would sure as heck be clean and Will slept a LONG time when he was here doing his thing!


Just for reference sake here's the back. We did have a big stack of firewood under those 2 little windows but they had to move it. (Glad it wasn't me)


This is 'little english' he has said five words to me; baby, half (as in half a year), yes (as in I was right about the babies age), two (as in two coats of paint) and toilet (as in can I please use yours).



And this is 'no english' who swings between cheerful and scared. I don't like referring to them using these names at all... but I haven't got much to go on as far as personality to differentiate them.

This is when they started wrapping the house. Sam is down the bottom doing some filling.



Merenia's windows one wrapped and the other getting wrapped.


Cool plant art... or at least how you keep the plants away from the house. We were a little worried about Ruby trying to come in the cat door over the step that they were painting dark grey... she has the furriest toes of any cat you have ever met and she's quite temperamental... it would not have been fun trying to trim her painty paw fur!


Back door all masked out....


And Sam starts to spray the first wall... Les is not impressed by house spraying... that's not the way they did it back in his day!


And here's Sam about 5 minutes later almost finished the first coat... and that is also not the way Les did it back in his day either. :-)


This is a very poor picture but I can tell you that would have been the best light to take family photos in- full sunlight brilliantly diffused!! Alas alak... who knew they'd work weekends?


Here's the hole in the front door masking that I just came through. Sam told me around 1pm that they'd have to mask both doors and that once they did there would be no coming or going for 2 hours. And I told Sam that I needed to pick the kids up at 3pm and he said fine we'll do the front door after that. So I was more than a little taken aback at 2:20pm when I went to leave to get milk and vege etc on my way to school to find out I was masked in. I made a little hole in the masking stuff and meekly called out hello. They came and made a bigger hole and I passed Will in his car seat through it. Then I popped through as well.

And then the kids went in through the hole when we got home. Kieran...


Merenia...


And Merenia's friend Courtney...


They started scrapping the windows on Thursday afternoon and by about 5:30pm Friday they had painted both coats over the whole house....


Saturday they worked on steps, base boards and filling holes that appeared after paint dried. Sunday they had a day off which was good because if they had have been working like the neighbours painter then I wouldn't have been happy. Yesterday was raining. And today like I say we have practically every window in the house open. When he's awake Will and I are holed up in our bedroom with the oil heater on. I think maybe they will finish today or perhaps have a little more to do before they move on down the road. Yay! Nice shiny new 'Spanish White' house looks great on the outside... fairly bloody crap on the inside thanks to the logic of the NZ Defence Force! I'll post a picture when it's all done and dusted. I bet you'll be waiting with baited breath for that one! Now I'm off down to the scrapbooking room as I didn't open those windows either.

No comments: