Monday, June 23, 2008

Celebrating Children's Book week Pt 5



The Tiger Who came to Tea By Judith Kerr We owned this book when I was a child and it's pretty darn cool. But it was second to The Tiger In The Teapot (see below) which we used to ALWAYS get out of the library, although I have a feeling that I mostly liked it because the little girl in the story had white ankle socks, black shoes and the mostest coolest ever hat with a cherry on it; hellOOOO!!! A cherry I tell you!!! Judith Kerr who wrote the Tiger who came to Tea also wrote Mog Books (as in Mog- the Cat with a family as opposed to Mog- Meg the witches cat). Did you know she actually wrote a book in which Mog died... I was devastated when I found out (about 2 years ago). So as for this cat read it to your 3+ year old and enjoy...


Bread and Jam for Frances By Russell Hoban I liked to identify with Frances she was a reall tomboy; liked to go out and find frogs and cool stuff like that. And do weird stuff like eat only Bread and Jam and sing little songs to herself, and run away to under the kitchen table, and she saved up for a teaset (I saved up for my 'Charlie's angels' torches (2 of them, one for me and one for Suzy Duncan) but it was a tough call between them and the teaset. She also got the thing that I really really wanted... a baby sister. A cool series of books for little girls 4+.


The Lighthouse Keepers Lunch By Ronda and David Armitage This is the first of the Lighthouse Keeper books (there are quite a few now). It's also probably my favourite. I love the look on poor Hamish the cats face when he travels in the basket alongside the lunch... poor pussy! If you haven't read a light house keeper book then why not? Age 3+


Tough Boris by Mem Fox This is a super cool book for boys... I mean what boy doesn't love a Pirate story!! And it's got a great twist in the tail, I won't spoil it for you... read to girls too from 3 years and on!


The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The BIG HUNGRY BEAR By Don and Audrey Wood. We love this story in our house and it's Christmas Sequel. It's lots of fun and the pictures are fabulous! Read it to your 3 year old and up....



NO David! By David Shannon This was one of Merenia's favourites both because she could read it from an early age and also because I think she identified with naughty David! I love the pictures myself. I guess we read this to Merenia from age 3 on...


Don't Put Mustard in the Custard Is the name of the version of this book that we have but I think it may now only be published as; Mustard, Custard, Grumble Belly and Gravy It's By Michael Rosen who is a fabulous poet and the pictures are by Quentin Blake Who's also fabulous. I also like Quick let's get out of here! also by Rosen. The especially good thing is that it is a book of poems (it's good to read a bunch of genres with kids) and I have yet to find many really fun and enjoyable poetry books for when you are done with reading nursery rhymes. (That said I am a sucker for a good story and find it hard to go past them!) As an aside Rosen also wrote We're going in a bear hunt and in the course of my research I was excited to learn that there is now a sequel called Bear in the Cave. I always did wonder what happened to the poor old bear after he wandered sadly back to his cave! Anyway wanna read poetry with your children then try Micheal Rosen and if you know of any more good stuff then let me know...

No comments: