Monday, June 9, 2008

Domestic Godess, Destitute Gourmet, Earth Mother and Wuss


I still haven't finished the sorting and the tidying but I had to do some other stuff today. I'm feeling pretty darn good about it all.

On the weekend we brought a slow cooker and yesterday we had corned beef made in it. Talk about tender- holy cow! So this morning I made a beef casserole with so many vegetables in it that I think Kieran will just about keel over. :-)


And while I was sorting that out I boiled up some pumpkin and pureed it for Will. He's not doing the food thing yet so now I have a lovely little ice tray of pumpkin puree cubes.


And once I had done that I thought I better hurry up and stew the apples that I picked off the neighbours tree, back when the painters were here. I remember last year telling a little baby in utero that we'd be stewing those apples this time next year, and so we are. It's not as good a crop as last year though. I got one super market bag of good apples and what little there is left on the tree isn't even that good for the birds and ants. I think I'll need to prune the tree in a month or so. Then next year will be better.


I have pureed half the apple for Will and now need to get it into the freezer... more ice trays I think. And the other half I used to make...



This is something my Mum used to make when I was little. It's one of the handful of recipes I wished that she was decent enough to give me; Lucerna Ice Cream, Hot Red Potato Salad, Cinnamon Honey Parfait. Luckily when I helped my grandfather move out of his council flat the recipe book with this in it was in his throw away pile.


It's very cool it has these great hand drawn adverts with 3 digit phone numbers from the good old days when the grocer was happy to share his home phone number.


The Atlas Cook Book at the top of this post I brought at a book fair yesterday morning. I brought it simply because I liked the cover. I was also really pleased to score the recipe book that came free with Prestcold Refridgerators back when I was about 7, because I knew there was a recipe in there that my Mum used to make as well... I thought it was the parfait but turns out it is Gingerbread- as in the loaf style not the men. And it is super yummy!!! Les is lucky I forgot the Treacle this morning at the supermarket because there was hardly any of what the kids call 'baking butter' left and he hadn't put it on the list. I would have been sorely disappointed if I came home to make it and couldn't.

The rest of yesterday went well. We got a email from Kathryn with a lovely poem. The boys got flowers.


We got Saskia Baby Pink Tulips and Paperwhites when she was born and this what we try and get each year. Generally we score the tulips but not the paperwhites- this year it was the other way around and man our house smells fantastic for it... I wish I could bottle that smell.


We dragged Merenia off the couch and took our balloons over to the green...


And let them go...

It was quite exciting...
We watched them head off up to Saskia...


But some people got distracted...


And we all wrote our cards...


Today Merenia claimed continued illness I knew she wasn't sick but I also knew that she needed another day to get sorted. So she stayed home. We had to do a toilet paper run to the supermarket and so we also went to the Video store and got a couple of Saddle Club DVD's for madam to watch- she is becoming a full blown horsey girl. It's seriously funny to watch her watch Saddle club... she gets so seriously involved with the story that she doesn't hear when you talk to her and she looks serious when they look serious and she looks happy when they look happy... and sometimes I think she is actually 'acting' along with them... and she's just as over blown as the actors are on the show. So what I don't understand is why when Veronica's horse also the horse that Carol really loves, Cobalt, had to be put down I was the one sitting there crying!!


No comments: